Shrine of Remembrance
The Shrine of Remembrance was originally built to commemorate those who had served in the First World War. The design for the was selected by competition among Australian artists and architects. Eighty-three designs were submitted and the winning design was by two Melbourne returned-soldier architects, Philip Hudson and James Wardrop.
Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester and son of King George V, officially opened the Shrine before a crowd of 300,000 people in November 1934. Since then, other memorials have been added to the site to mark the service of successive generations, such as the Second World War Forecourt and the Post 1945 Memorial. While direct experience and knowledge of the events of the First World War and subsequent conflicts fade, interest in them is growing. Today the Shrine places a high priority on education and interpretation. Through commemoration, exhibitions and public programs the Shrine continues to honour Victorian service and sacrifice and to uphold and reinforce the values we associate with the original ANZACs.
SHRINE TOURS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to limit exclude or modify or purport to limit exclude or modify the accessibility of the Shrine of Remembrance to all visitors. Entry to the Shrine of Remembrance including the Sanctuary Crypt and Galleries of Remembrance remains free of charge. Any bookings and payment for bookings made via Rezdy are limited to the Shrine Tours product only. No component of the payment for the Shrine Tours is for entry to the Crypt.
Application of Terms
Before proceeding with your booking please read these Terms and Conditions carefully. By selecting “I accept” during the process of booking your tour you will have accepted the following conditions of sale. You must not make a booking unless you agree with these terms and Conditions.
Variation of Terms
The Shrine of Remembrance may vary these Terms and Conditions at any time by updating them. If the Shrine of Remembrance varies a Term or Condition in a way that adversely affects the purchaser's rights or obligations under this agreement the purchaser may cancel its booking and receive a full refund of its purchase.
General Terms and Conditions
1. Our tours can be physically demanding and require the ability to climb multiple flights of stairs.
2. Children under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult. These tours are not recommended for children under 6 years.
Limitation of Liability
3. There are inherent risks in participating in Shrine Tours. As a tour participant of Shrine Tours you are accepting those risks that a reasonable and prudent person would be aware of while participating in a tour of this kind. You agree to exercise good judgement and act responsibly at all times while participating in the Shrine Tour.
4. To the extent permitted by law you acknowledge and agree that the Shrine of Remembrance (including any trustee employee or volunteer of the Shrine of Remembrance) is not liable to you for any loss damage or harm arising out of your participation in the Shrine Tours.
Pricing and Payments
5. Bookings for Shrine Tours are not confirmed without payment.
6. All prices stated are in Australian dollars and include GST.
7. Prices are subject to change without notice. If a purchaser has paid the price of its booking and the Shrine of Remembrance subsequently changes the price pursuant to this clause the purchaser is not obliged to pay for any price increase associated with that booking.
Authenticity and Validity of Tickets
8. Participation on a tour may be refused if the authenticity or validity of a ticket is questionable including because the ticket has been damaged or defaced in any way or has not been purchased from the Shrine of Remembrance.
9. Bookings may be transferred. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the recipient presents a valid booking confirmation in order to collect the ticket. Refunds will not be issued for transferred bookings in the event of ticket loss or non-attendance.
Collection of Tickets
10. Booking confirmation emails must be presented at the Visitor Centre reception desk to receive the tour ticket. Booking confirmations are accepted in printed and/or electronic formats.
11. Where concessions are applicable suitable and valid identification must be provided for collection of tickets.
12. If you need to cancel your booking please do so as early as possible. Cancellations or amendments must be made via email to: email@example.com or by telephoning from within Australia: (03) 9661 8100 International: +61 3 9661 8100.
13. A booking is considered to be cancelled when the Shrine of Remembrance has sent an email to the purchaser confirming the cancellation or 1 business day after receipt of an email or phone call from the purchaser requesting the cancellation (whichever is earlier). a. Cancellations made prior to one week from the tour will receive a full refund.
b. Cancellations made 7-2 days prior to the tour will be charged 50% of the tour price.
c. Cancellations made within 48 of the tour will not be refunded.
d. If the Shrine is forced to cancel a booked tour a full refund will be given.
14. Shrine Tours operate in all weather. Tour route may be modified in the event of inclement weather.